Friday, July 22, 2011

Train to Stockholm and an old city tour

Today, I decided to take the train into the city by myself and see if I could organize an old city tour.

Taking the train wasn't too troublesome, as we had taken it a few days earlier and I already had a ticket.

Finding the right exit when I arrived at central station was a little more challenging. I found the tourist information centre we visited the other day and asked one of the guides out the front for directions to the old city.


I recognized where I was about 3/4 of the way there. Bought a ticket and had an hour and a half to kill, so plonked myself down at the cafe at the museum and had a beer and chicken Caesar salad for lunch.

The tour to the old city was amazing.


Most of the buildings dated back to the 16th century. They were older, but several fires destroyed the really original buildings.



These were rebuilt in the 1600's. The architecture is amazing. Lots of narrow lane ways and a very cosmopolitan feel.


I saw the kings palace with it's several forecourts and buildings.


The King hasn't lived in the palace in the old city since 1981 as he wanted his children to grow up out of the city.


The old city is actually on a couple of islands.


There also used to be city walls, but as the city grew and expanded off the island these were torn down.



There are many narrow lane ways, one of them just 90cm wide!



And here's the main city square below, where all announcements would've made, plus it's where you went to trade goods and also where you went to get work too.





I love the old city, it had so much atmosphere and culture. Today it also has a lot of restaurants. I would imagine it to be a great place at night too.

I caught the train back to Jacobsberg after dropping into Macca's for a drink and some directions. Henrik picked me up from the station and we had another lovely BBQ courtesy of Mr Swede and his culinary skills.

Off to London tomorrow and then start my 21 day European tour. Will be sad to leave Sweden as I have had such a lovely time here, I have been made to feel very welcome and cannot express enough gratitude to Henrik, Sara, Erik and Evalina for having me in there home.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Remontvägen,Järfälla,Sweden

No comments:

Post a Comment